We recommend the following tips for repairing a roof leak. Some of these steps can be tricky, so we recommend you call a local handyman for the repair.
Step 1 – Seal the Leak
- Locate the source of the leak by examining the underside of the roof from within your attic or crawl space.
- Shine a flashlight along the underside of the roof and look for a hole in the roof as well as areas that are wet or have been darkened by moisture.
- Mark the areas that appear to be leaks with chalk so they will be easier to find later when making a permanent repair.
- Let the wet areas dry and then apply the patch to the underside of the roof with a putty knife. Use enough of the roof patch to liberally cover the leaky area.
- Use a caulking gun to apply caulk to seal any holes that appear in the roof. Use the putty knife or your finger to spread the caulk around to cover the hole.
Step 2 – Divert the Water
- Insert a nail in the hole where water is leaking through the roof. The nail will provide a path for the water.
- Place a bucket underneath the nail to catch the water as it runs down the nail.
- Patch the hole from the inside as soon as the area is dry enough for the caulk or roof patch to be applied.